Hendy Woods State Park
Located in the middle of the Anderson Valley wine district, this park is warmer and less foggy than redwood parks along the coast. The park is well known for a fallen redwood stump that was home for a man known locally as the Hendy Woods Hermit.
About the park
The two groves of redwood and the park which was constructed around them bear the name of Joshua P. Hendy who, in the late 1800's, first claimed this beautiful area as his own.
He found something within the peace and quiet of these moss encrusted groves that made him vow that neither saw nor ax would ever lay bare the inner bark of these giants, and true to his word he was, for as long as the land was his the trees were never harmed.
California was growing and the need for lumber was great. After Joshua Hendy died the groves were sold. Down came the giant trees in the outlying areas and off to the mills they were hauled. Timber was cut and removed from all sides of the big groves, but never was an order given to attack the giants standing there.
Hendy Woods was sold to the people of California in August of 1958, to become one of our finest state parks.
Of the 92 campsites in Wildcat and Azalea campgrounds, fully sixty percent afford complete privacy from its neighbor. Reservations for camping can be made through Reserve America. The 25 picnicing sites are located near the banks of the Navarro River in full view of Big Hendy Grove. There is no need to bring either wood, charcoal or presto-logs as wood is available at the ranger station. Visitors are asked not to gather wood within the park as this downed material is needed to provide humus to further growth of the surrounding vegetation. Two miles of nature trails guide the visitor through both Big Hendy and Little Hendy Groves. While hiking please stay on the trail so that the forest floor will maintain its beauty, unspoiled for generations to come.