#mendocinogonewild - Mushroom Contest Rules and Information
Let’s get wild! Enter any or all of our great contests with chances to win overnights, tours, and cash!
Full details and rules for each contest are here.
Wild Mendocino Instagram Contest
The month of November in Mendocino County is all about stepping off the path to forage for nature’s bounty. This year we want to see your view of our untamed wilderness. Take any photo of you or a friend in the woods, hills, or coastal wonderland of Mendocino County with an edible wild treasure, and post it on Instagram using the hashtag #mendocinogonewild. At the end of the month, we’ll choose our favorite photo. The prize is a one-night stay in the County.
- You must own the rights to the photo you post on Instagram.
- Photos must be posted on Instagram using the hashtag #MendocinoGoneWild between November 1st and November 15th, 2013.
- Contestants may submit as many photos as they wish.
- Photos must be taken within Mendocino County, and must feature a foraged mushroom in some context – in the wild, after being harvested, or as part of a home-cooked meal.
- Winners will be notified via Instagram by December 1st, 2014.
- Some restrictions may apply to one-night stay, including being limited by availability.
The Mighty Mushroom Weigh Off - The Hunt is On!
Do you fancy yourself a master mushroom hunter? Mycological guru Eric Schramm wants to see just how good you are. This year we’re looking for the biggest, heaviest mushroom you can dig up. There will be two winners: one for the largest golden chanterelle (Cantharellus cibarius), and one for the largest King Bolete (Boletus edulis). Winners will receive $100 for the largest mushroom in each catetory and runners-up will each receive a $20 cash prize. Contest kicks off at the Mushroom, Wine & Beer Train event on Saturday, November 2; winners will be announced at the Fungi Finale on Sunday, November 10.
California reputedly has the world’s largest king bolete and chanterelle mushrooms, and Mendocino County is a center for wild mushrooms. Let’s show the world how big our mushrooms get, have some fun, and maybe even make some money!
- Must be a single king bolete or golden chanterelle with no dirt
- Size is determined by weight alone
- OLD mushrooms are OK, but not rotten ones
- No frozen mushrooms
- Contest sponsor has final say in disputes
- Mushrooms must be weighed at an official weighing station
- Entries must be in by noon on November 9th
- The winner will be announced at Fungal Finale at Jug Handle Creek Farm on November 10 at 4:00 pm
Mightiest bolete: $100
2nd mightiest: $20
Mightiest chanterelle: $100
2nd mightiest: $20
Prizes supplied by Mendocino Mushrooms
Official Weighing Stations
Visit Mendocino County Office, Fort Bragg
Mushroom Recipe Contest
How it Works:
You submit your recipe online by October 18. The best sounding recipes are forwarded to a local food expert who will make the final selection of top 3 recipes. The expert then prepares each finalist recipe to ensure correct measurements and use of ingredients for a panelist of judges to determine the winner of the 2013 #MendocinoGoneWild Mushroom, Wine & Beer Festival Recipe Contest. The winner will be announced via Facebook and Twitter and then contacted on Friday, November 1, the first day of the 2013 Mushroom, Wine & Beer Festival.
Rules for the 2013 #MendocinoGoneWild Mushroom, Wine & Beer Festival Recipe Contest
- Recipes for the 2013 #MendocinoGoneWild Mushroom, Wine & Beer Festival Recipe Contest must be original and specify the use of mushrooms. Recipes must serve six (6) and take less than two hours preparation time. The recipe contest encourages the use of mushrooms as a key ingredient, and fresh ingredients where appropriate.
- Contestants may enter as many recipes as they wish, one entry per online transmission or snail mail. Each entry must be typewritten, or hand-printed legibly, in recipe format. Recipe format lists ingredients in order of use with amount/quantity, followed by step-by-step method of preparation. The contestant name, email and telephone number must be included with each recipe submission.
- The contest is open to U.S. and Canada residents only, twenty-one (21) years of age or older. Void wherever prohibited, taxed or restricted by state or local law.
- Recipes must be transmitted online via Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest, or mailed to Visit Mendocino County, 2013 #MendocinoGoneWild Mushroom, Wine & Beer Festival Recipe Contest, 345 N. Franklin Street, Ft. Bragg, CA, 95437 and postmarked no later than October 18, 2013. The internet address is MendocinoGoneWild [at] visitmendocino [dot] com. All recipes submitted as entries become the property of Visit Mendocino County. By entering the contest, all participants consent to the commercial use of their name, picture, likeness and recipe for advertising and publicity purposes without further compensation.
- On October 29, dishes will be prepared by a local food expert and served to a panelist of judges. Those judges will determine the winner. Recipe contest winner will be contacted and announced on facebook and twitter on November 1, 2013. The basis for judging will be use of mushrooms and deliciousness. The decision of the judging panel is final and binding.
- Prizes for the 2013 #MendocinoGoneWild Mushroom, Wine & Beer Festival Recipe Contest are: a “Tour, Tasting and Culinary Adventure at Handley Cellars” and two tickets to the Mendocino Coast Botanical Gardens. All taxes and fees occurring on the redemption of the prizes are the sole responsibility of the winners. Prize does not include travel to Mendocino County.