As the first county in the US to ban genetically modified organisms (GMOs), Mendocino has long been recognized as being environmentally-oriented. In fact, Mendocino County has been at it so long, they have actually advanced living in harmony with the earth to the point where it is positively luxurious!
Here are a few ways to make your Mendocino vacation both earth-friendly and fabulous. (And all of these suggestions are budget-friendly too!)
- Sip an organic wine. Mendocino County has the highest percentage of organic and biodynamic vineyards in the United States and is known as America’s Greenest Wine Region™.
- Go Solar. The Hopland-based Solar Living Institute is one of the premiere places in the world to learn how to minimize your energy impact on the earth.
- Savor the Taste of Local Bounty. Discover one of our Farmers’ Markets throughout the county that sell fabulous local organic produce, cheese, seafood, and meat, year around.
- Visit Parducci Wine Cellars the Nations first certified carbon neutral winery.
- Admire the World’s Oldest Trees. Some of the world’s tallest redwood trees rise up to the heavens in Mendocino County.
- Enjoy an Organic Beer. The Ukiah Brewing Co. & Restaurant is the nation's first all-organic brewpub and restaurant.
- Visit the Only Coastal Botanical Gardens in the West. Discover 47 acres of beauty and serenity while strolling in the Mendocino Coast Botanical Gardens by the sea.